Friday 14 September 2012

Leaving London to live by the sea. . .



I really have a love/hate relationship with Galway City. It is a gorgeous city on Ireland's scenic Atlantic coast and it does have a great social and cultural life. Having said that, it really is small. As in, tiny. And when I say it's on the Atlantic Coast, I mean that quite literally. So for many months of the years it's rain sodden and gale force winds whip through the streets (umbrella's don't last long in this town). I'm currently back here for an extended period having been away for over a year and I'm none too pleased about it- although expressing this displeasure by referring to Galway as a "rock marooned in the bloody sea" when surrounded by native Galweigans was probably a mistake. Oh well, live and learn!

Having said all that, the one major plus of being back in Galway is living close to the sea again. The beach is literally less than a twenty minute walk from Galway city centre (told you it was small) and going for a run (I use the term 'run' quite loosely) along by the Prom is keeping me sane! The other evening, feeling lazy, I went for a more lesiurely stroll and brought my camera along.

 

 


 

 
 
There's not quite as much going on here as in London (sigh) but with scenery like that on your doorstep, I suppose it's not all bad!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment