Thursday 22 November 2012

What's been going on? Ireland, DRC and Sudan

It's been a busy two weeks or so. Last week was pretty much consumed by the story which emerged late Tuesday night of a young pregnant woman, Savita Halappanavar, who died in a Galway hospital having been denied a termination despite the fact that she was miscarrying. I don't think I've had a conversation since in which Savita's name hasn't come up. It's dominated everything- the media, everyday life. People have been organising/attending vigils and demonstrations across Ireland as well in London, Brussels and elsewhere.

There's been real anger and shame here in Ireland over this and quite rightly so. Our laws on abortion are archaic and although our Supreme Court ruled TWENTY YEARS ago that it is permissible to have a termination in Ireland if the life of the mother is at risk, legislation pertaining to this has still not been enacted.

This is not about abortion on demand. It is about saving women's lives.

I wrote a piece on this for A SafeWorld for Women which you can find here http://www.asafeworldforwomen.org/womens-rights/wr-europe/wr-ireland/3314-third-class-citizens.html

There's been a lot going on otherwise. I'm in the middle of preparing for exams but have been distracted by following events in the DRC- joining Twitter is probably the worst thing I have ever done, productivity wise. Goma fell to the M23 rebels earlier this week and it's unclear what will happen next. Will we see a repeat of the devastating 1998-2003 war?

Also reports emerged today of an attempted coup in Sudan. The Sudan Tribune has an early account here. It seems to be disgruntled NCP members, rather than any sort on continuation of Sudan Revolts, as some early reports claimed.

In the next few weeks, I will be publishing a feature on Sudanese female activists, interviewing journalists, bloggers, human rights activists and students. I'm really excited about this piece, profiling these women who face immense risks to carry out the work they do every day. Check back in a week or so to see more!

In the meantime, I've had to travel to Dublin twice this week as I, rather stupidly, mislaid my passport and am going to London this weekend. Dublin may be our capital city but I really am not a fan. I'm quite happy if the only way I cross the river Shannon is in an aeroplane.

But anyway, I'm looking forward to spending the next week or so in London, catching up with friends and celebrating The Kentishtowner's second birthday. I might squeeze in some study while I'm there too:)

No comments:

Post a Comment